Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Being a monk

Had an interesting conversation with my guide, the man who had arranged my trip on the Mekong River boat.


His name is Pon, and before joining the tourism industry in Laos, he was a monk for 6 years. When I asked him whether or not he had become enlightened during that time, he laughed and said "Yes. A little bit."

When I asked Pon why he decided to start/stop being a monk, he said it was because as the 6th of 9 children from a rural family, he needed an education and wasn't likely to get it any other way. As for why Pon quit, he said that it was time to get married and have children. (I get the feeling he thought I was silly for asking.)

Pon also gave me some advice: never marry an attractive woman, because they're lazy.

btj

No comments:

Post a Comment