Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My walk in the Mall

The modernity of this mall in Chiang Mai left me reeling. Here's a series of semi-unrelated things that caught my eye:

  • This band played a strikingly bad cover of Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven. It was so bad that I truly enjoyed it. And, they played in the middle of this techno-wizard-themed food court, which made the moment all the more surreal.



  • Look! Pizza with noodles on it! (This was taken at a Pizza Hut.) As an aside, I don't understand any dish that tops starch with another starch. For example, Ethiopians eat spaghetti and red sauce with injera (a spongy, sourdough-ish bread). Talk about overloading on the carbohydrates.

  • Look! A Sizzler! Who knew?? I had expected McD's, Burger king, KFC, and Starbucks to be well-entrenched in Thailand, but Sizzler was a new one on me. I would eat there -- just to say that I ate at Sizzler's in Thailand, but it was unfathomably expensive. (i.e. roughly the same price it is in the States.)


It's a strange, strange world we live in, my friends.

btj

No comments:

Post a Comment