Sunday, June 21, 2009

Home & Life

The Home & Life Orphanage in Thai Muang (near the touristy island of Phuket) is an amazing place. In contrast to some of the other group homes I've worked or volunteered at, this actually feels like a home. here's the website: www.homelifethailand.net



A Thai couple -- nicknamed Root and Rasa -- started it 5 years ago to take care of kids orphaned by the tsunami, but now they're taking in other impoverished kids as well, for a total of 24. When I arrived, Root gathered everyone to welcome me to their home.


Even though it's only been a few days, I already feel that this will be one of the most rewarding experience I'll have during my time in SE Asia. The reason is the kids -- their smiles are incredible. Here are a few little dudes who climb all over me when they get home from school:



I already wish I could stay longer.

btj

No comments:

Post a Comment