Monday, May 11, 2009

It begins!

I'm leaving for Southeast Asia this evening, and will return in mid-July. The most ridiculous thing I'm taking along:

8 lbs. of beloved (but soon-to-be-discarded) paperbacks, which will weigh down my backpack and probably leave me with a huge crick in my neck.


Thank god I'm going to a land where massages cost $5. I can't wait to get some wizened old Thai woman to scream "Hiii yaaa!" while she bends my arms back and grinds her heel into my trapezius.

Reflection of the day:

I've realized that I'm carrying all of these books because I instinctively dread boredom and expect constant entertainment out of life. This disturbs me in a quasi-spiritual sort of way.

I wonder which was the last generation to not expect (or at least sincerely hope) to have fun every minute of every day.

btj

3 comments:

  1. I'd drop On Beauty if I were you. I didn't think all that much of it. And you should get yourself an e-reader. They're perfect for trips like this. Hundreds of books in a package that weighs less than a paperback - nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank god there's another travel blog written from a western(ish) perspective. i look forward to reading it! have a great trip. i sorely wish i could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that thought as well (about expecting entertainment during all your waking hours). I think with the discovery of electricity and artificial light, it's a relatively recent development, and is really a luxury. Have fun on your trip and I'll see you in Boston!!! :)

    ReplyDelete