Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lenin's grim visage

I tried to go see Uncle Ho today, but alas -- the lines were too long. I asked a security guard if I could get in before the tomb closed for the day, and the man laughed in my face.

In the tradition of great Communist leaders everywhere, Ho Chi Minh is entombed in a plexiglas case, and thousands of Vietnamese come every day to pay their respects. From the little I've read, this was an amazing man. (Fun fact: Ho Chi Minh actually wanted to be cremated, but they ignored him and decided to preserve his body for posterity instead.)

While I didn't get to see Uncle Ho, I did come across an interesting statue of Lenin:


This man looks singularly humorless to me. I wonder what his favorite joke was. Probably something to do with how many bourgeoisie it takes to screw in a light bulb. ("One to screw in the bulb, and ten more to own the means of production! Har!")

btj

No comments:

Post a Comment